Saturday, April 3, 2010

Games of Today... For Me

Human beings enjoy games. From earliest times, games have served as means of transferring skills to youth. Even “playing pretend” seems like a fairly universal human trait. As long as one isn’t too stringent on the definition of “game”, there are games for every personality and temperament, and it is natural to find an affinity for some sort of game.

For whatever reason, I haven’t yet found a digital gaming environment that sparks my interest enough for long-term investment. My curiosity is piqued, and I like to observe, but I don’t want to spend hours developing a character in a digital game. I am sure I am not alone. Too many factors contribute to making a digital gaming experience enjoyable. Technical issues such as equipment, memory allocations, connection and band width play a part; environmental issues such as space, free time, and external distractions play a part; economic issues, such as subscription prices or even the price of electricity can play a part; physical ability such as vision and hand-eye coordination can play a part; and personality definitely plays a part.

Currently, I prefer games of peek-a-boo, hide-and-seek, and playing pretend with toy tools. My gaming interests are very “old school”, but I’d rather be helping my son figure out the physical world and building his problem solving skills here. Going off into an ether-world to solve artificial problems doesn’t make sense for me right now. There is more joy in giggles than thousands of points of experience (XP).

No comments:

Post a Comment