Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mine is Just a Phone

Mobile computing is only on the periphery of my experience so far. I can either be described as hard-hearted or hard-headed about the “benefit” of mobile computing.

On the hard-hearted side:
  • An average of three times a day I am hissing through my teeth at some distracted driver with a phone in hand “texting”.
  • I find it appalling that people sit together at tables in restaurants and are consumed by spending that precious time communicating with someone else somewhere else.
  • I loathe the idea that my phone can be used to pinpoint my whereabouts on a map.
  • I dread the day that it is naturally expected that I answer an e-mail anytime, anywhere.
  • I hate tiny buttons that make me feel as if my fingers are even more fat and clumsy than they already really are.
  • I worry about the future where everyone is desensitized to the distraction of “multitasking” and the beauty of silent contemplation is lost.
  • I wonder if how whatever the realities of our power needs and diminishing natural resources will ultimately bring the house of cards down.

On the hard-headed side:
  • I am like a lady of another time stuck in my past. I refuse to see a phone as anything but a phone.
  • I am not convinced of the benefits of the little black box that can do "everything".
  • I don’t want to buy in to the hype, even when I see the “cool” things mobile computing can provide.
  • I don’t want to pay extra for the services and equipment.
  • I don’t like being manipulated by a marvelous marketing scheme.

The lists go on and intertwine back and forth. The end result is that I have the basic cell phone and use it to talk. I have managed to send a few pictures, but I don’t text message. I’ve never used a phone to access the internet or as a GPS. This isn’t likely to change any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment